begun by Fidcal
This is a list of Dark Mod (doom3) console dmap error and warning messages, what they mean and what to do about them. Please add any that you know.
Errors and Warnings
WARNING: idCollisionModelManagerLocal::ChopWindingWithBrush: primitive [N] more than 128 windings
The ChopWindingWithBrush error means you have too many small brushes placed against a large brush.
- Note the brush number in the message where it says primitive [N]
- In Dark Radiant, press Esc to deselect all.
- Select Find Brush in the Map menu.
- Delete the 0 in the entity input so it is blank
- Enter the value from the error message (represented above as [N])
- Click the Find button and your problem brush should be selected
- Select the clipper tool (see DR Controls for details) and cut the brush in two or more pieces making sure the cut divides up the touching brushes area. No point in just splitting it in a blank area. You obviously need to use the option to divide the brush in two not clip and discard!
- Save with a new name ideally then test dmap again and it should be OK.
Entity 1 has surfaces, but no name key
This error "Entity 1 has surfaces, but no name key" seems to occur if entity 0 is not worldspawn. Somehow the first entity 0 is some other entity and worldspawn was entity 1 so had no name key. I couldn't reproduce this but it has happened. Possibly there might be other circumstances where an entity has no name key but normally Dark Radiant would not permit that.
- In Dark Radiant:
- Make a backup copy of your map using menu > file > save copy as.
- Deselect all with Esc.
- Menu > find brush > set brush and entity to 0
- Click OK
- Entity 0 is normally worldspawn.
- If it is some other entity not worldspawn, clone it then delete the original. This will rename the entity so you might need to check if this affects anything targetting it or bind to it, or script ref. etc.
See this must know for details of how to deal with leaks.
Node without a volume
This indicates a brush/entity/patch that is either infinite, or not properly closed. You need to delete these brushes and redo them.
To find these brushes, note the entity ID which Doom prints on the console:
############### entity 32 ############### --- FaceBSP --- 0 faces 1 leafs 0.0 seconds faceBsp ----- MakeTreePortals ----- WARNING: node without a volume
In this case it is 32, so go to Map -> Find Brush in DarkRadiant, and enter this number into the Entity number box and press Find. The entity in question will be highlighted in the editor.
Too many verts for a poly
If you notice warnings in the console like the following:
WARNING: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model models/darkmod/props/decorative/statuette_priest_torso.lwo has too many verts for a poly! Make sure you triplet it down WARNING: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model models/darkmod/props/decorative/statuette_priest_torso.lwo has too many verts for a poly! Make sure you triplet it down WARNING: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model models/darkmod/props/decorative/statuette_priest_torso.lwo has too many verts for a poly! Make sure you triplet it down
It means one of two things. One, you forgot to Triple your model (you cannot have 4 sided polys in D3). In Lightwave, you do this by using the "Triple" command (shift-t).
Or two, there are leftover 1 or 2 sided polys. In Lightwave, you can check this by checking the "statistics" window (w). It will list the number of 1 or 2 sided polys, and you can select them by hitting the (+) sign beside the name. If you delete them and save the model it should solve the problem.
Technically, this is just a warning, not an error, so your map will still work. But for the sake of less garbage in the console you should try and fix it.