DarkRadiant - Quick Installation Guide
Originally written by Crispy on http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/4432
- Download the DarkRadiant installer (it's the .exe file) from Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/darkradiant
- Run the installer and follow the instructions until it finishes.
- Start up DarkRadiant via the Start menu.
- If an "Engine Path Not Found" dialog appears, choose the path to your Doom 3 installation. For example, c:\Games\Doom3. Then click OK.
- DarkRadiant should now start up. Try loading a Dark Mod map to see if it's working.
- You're done!
There is no binary package for Linux, so you need to download the source and compile DarkRadiant.
After the compilation, the binary will be in
This is definitely not comprehensive, but here are some of the things you really must know to get started:
- To move around in the 3D view, use the arrow keys. Right-click toggles mouselook.
- To select things, hold down Shift and left-click.
- To add brushes, left-click and drag in a 2D view.
- To add other things (lights, entities, models) right-click in a 2D view to get a context menu.
- To get a preview of your map with lighting in the 3D view, press F3. It's a bit slow (especially to initialise), but we're working on that. Pressing F3 again will go back to the normal fullbright view.
You can probably figure out the rest on your own; check out the View menu for important dialogs, and poke around in the Preferences dialog (press P) if you feel like customizing anything. Happy mapping!