DarkRadiant - Quick Installation Guide
- Download the DarkRadiant installer (it's the .exe file) from the github release page: https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant/releases
- Run the installer and follow the instructions until it finishes.
- Start up DarkRadiant via the Start menu.
- If an "Engine Path Not Found" dialog appears, choose the path to your Darkmod installation. For example, C:\Games\Darkmod.
- The fs_game setting should point to your darkmod installation. Depending on which package you're working on, this can be "thiefs_den", "saintlucia" or "darkmod". Then click .
- DarkRadiant should now start up. Try loading a Dark Mod map to see if it's working.
- You're done!
For Ubuntu (and official variants like Kubuntu), please use the package in the Software Center to get the "darkradiant" package which is maintained by the Debian Games Group.
If there is no binary package for your distribution, you need to download the source and compile DarkRadiant.
After the compilation, use
make install to install DarkRadiant into your system. You can then start it with simply
This is definitely not comprehensive, but here are some of the things you really must know to get started:
- To move around in the 3D view, use the arrow keys. The toggles mouselook.
- To select things, hold down . and use the
- To add brushes, and drag the mouse in a 2D view.
- To add other things (lights, entities, models) right-click in a 2D view to get a context menu.
- To get a preview of your map with lighting in the 3D view, press . It's a bit slow (especially to initialise), but we're working on that. Pressing again will go back to the normal fullbright view.
Also, poke around in the Preferences dialog (press) if you feel like customizing anything. Happy mapping!