DarkRadiant - Quick Installation Guide
These instructions assume that you're on Windows. If you're using Linux you should be savvy enough to figure it out yourself. (There's no binary package for Linux as of this writing, so Linux users will need to download and compile the source - you'll need scons and gcc.)
- Download the DarkRadiant installer (it's the .exe file) from Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/darkradiant
- Run the installer and follow the instructions until it finishes.
- Start up DarkRadiant via the Start menu.
- You'll see a small Global Preferences window come up. The defaults are fine so click OK.
- If an "Engine Path Not Found" dialog appears, type in the path to your Doom 3 installation. For example, D:\Games\Doom3. Then click OK.
- DarkRadiant should now start up. Try loading a Dark Mod map to see if it's working.
- If everything looks white, press P to bring up the preferences window then click OK. This should fix it.
- All the darkmod-specific assets will be missing. To fix this, pull down the File menu and select "Project Settings". Choose "Custom Doom 3 modification". Under fs_game, type "darkmod" (without the quotes). Click OK.
- You're done!
This is definitely not comprehensive, but here are some of the things you really must know to get started:
- To move around in the 3D view, use the arrow keys. Right-click toggles mouselook.
- To select things, hold down Shift and left-click.
- To add brushes, left-click and drag in a 2D view.
- To add other things (lights, entities, models) right-click in a 2D view to get a context menu.
- To get a preview of your map with lighting in the 3D view, press F3. It's a bit slow (especially to initialise), but we're working on that. Pressing F3 again will go back to the normal, unlit view.
You can probably figure out the rest on your own; check out the View menu for important dialogs, and poke around in the Preferences dialog (press P) if you feel like customising anything. Happy mapping!