Mission recommendation discussions
This is a minor article related to Fan Missions, specifically discussions on FMs in the community.
The article's point is to highlight past discussions that have analysed the varying contents and difficulties of FMs, and recommended them on that basis to players. Especially recommendations to curious and not yet experienced newcomer players (for whom this article is primarily intended for). Many new TDM players ask about recommended missions, and there might be some merit in documenting the responses they have received over the course of a decade, particularly in the years since TDM went standalone.
Missions for beginners
Here are some recommended missions for complete beginners. Though these are small, generally short and not too demanding missions, they're varied and many of them are highly atmospheric. The overview below is listed alphabetically.
- The Training Mission, A New Job, The Tears of St. Lucia (all three come pre-installed), Sound Alert and Blackjack Training (good for practicing knockouts)
- The Bakery Job
- The Builder Roads
- The Builder's Influence
- The Creeps
- In A Time of Need and its sequel Breaking out the Fence
- Not An Ordinary Guest
- The Outpost
- The Parcel
- Poets and Peasants
- Sir Taffsalot's Sword
- Somewhere Above the City
- Solar Escape
- Special Delivery
- Thief's Den and its three sequels (Chalice of Kings, Heart of Lone Salvation, The Alchemist)
- Too Late
- Trapped !
Please note that some of the older discussions might be somewhat outdated in terms of rating "the best" or "most recommended" missions, as the number of TDM FMs keep growing with each passing year, and their typical level of polish keeps growing hand in hand with their numbers. For improved orientation, we've added some dates behind each link.
- Fan Mission Types (clearing up mission typology for newbies)
- New to TDM, mission questions (clearing up mission numbering for newbies)
- Pick your Top 5 TDM Missions (December 2011 - September 2018)
- Looking for a FM with a lot of climbing/verticality (September 2013)
- New player needs missions (October 2013)
- Essential beginner missions? (March 2014)
- What are some of the best or must play missions out there ? (July 2016)
- Any good "Rooftop" Missions out there? (December 2016)